Friday, January 4, 2013

What Do We Do Now? (Ode to a Political Nobody)

Two months. It's been almost two months since I've posted something. I started this blog in a fit of rage over the election, and then realized it wasn't who I was. I needed to regroup. I needed to just take some time and look at what was happening, get an idea of where we were going as a country, decide whether or not I wanted to still pay attention to what was going on in the world, or just go on disability, collect food stamps, apply for section 8 housing, and get a free phone.

I chose to come back, because I do give a shit. I do care about what is going on. The problem is that I'm a nobody. No connections. No money. I feel alone in my voicing concerns, even though there are those bloggers and new media who represent about 85% of what I feel inside. Oh well, at least this is therapy for me. I can get an outlet going, and maybe someone will stumble upon it, start nodding, and then say "hey, I get what he's saying. Me too dammit!"

So, what do we do? What can we nobodys do to make sure we are heard? What can we do to save ourselves? What can we do to save our country? What can we do to make sure that we maintain this last ounce of sanity remaining in the world? Well, I've made a list; it is as follows:

1.   Get closer to God.
2.   Volunteer - gotta start somewhere.
3.   If there is a vote that takes place that affects me, I'm going to let my representative and senator know.
4.   Take time out and forget the world at least once per day. Play a game, watch a movie with the kids, take the wife out to dinner, crank up some Disturbed and lift some weights... anything to just zone out for a sense of semblence.
5.   Buy a gun, or 2, or 100.
6.   Buy some ammo.
7.   Don't back down, and stand my ground. It's my country too, dammit!
8.   Go to my representative's office and introduce myself.
9.   Introduce myself to my neighbors (I've been at my new place for 4 months, and I have not met them yet).
10. Join some groups in my church.
11. Start going to school board meetings.
12. Attend city council meetings.

I've heard on numerous occasions that "you can only change the world if you believe in yourself, or else be a damned good salesman." What we have in DC right now are great salesmen/saleswomen. We have very few with any integrity whatsoever, but we do have those few. Hold them to account, but start with yourself. From there, the sky is the limit. Start small, grow bigger, think biggest, and be an example. We nobodys can make a difference. It's time we start. Let's change this thing around.

No comments:

Post a Comment